Mandalay: A Myanmar Muslim organisation says more than 700 worshipers were killed when the 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck the country at Friday prayer time during the holy month of Ramzan.
Tun Kyi, a member of the steering committee of the Spring Revolution Myanmar Muslim Network, said Monday that some 60 mosques were damaged or destroyed when the 7.7 magnitude quake hit near Mandalay, the country’s second largest city.
It was not immediately clear whether those killed in the mosques were included in the official toll of more than 1,700 people killed in the earthquake so far.
Also Read
#MyanmarEarthquake
— Zia Hero (@SahatZia_Hero) March 28, 2025
The scene after the collapse of the Shwe Pho Shing Mosque in #Mandalay due to the 7.7 magnitude #earthquake hit #Myanmar.
At least 20 people were killed when the Shwe Pho Shing Mosque in Mandalay collapsed during worship today due to a devastating… pic.twitter.com/UkJBGRRTkY
Videos posted on The Irrawaddy online news site showed several mosques toppling during the quake, and people fleeing from the areas.
Tun Kyi said most of the mosques damaged were older buildings more vulnerable to earthquakes.
https://twitter.com/SaadAbedine/status/1905559740010082346
Get the latest updates in , , , , and on & by subscribing to our channels. You can also download our app for and .
You may also like
Aryan Shah shifts focus to global goals after SM Krishna Memorial Open loss
Kerala CM Vijayan, Congress's Rahul Gandhi raise concerns over targeting of Catholic churches after passage of Waqf Bill
F1 star shrieks in terror over radio as 'something broke' on car while driving flat out
CBHFL Bank Recruitment 2025: Recruitment for various posts in the bank, apply by 25th April..
Waqf land will now no longer be looted, says CM Yogi