Viktor Gyokeres has reminded Arsenal and Chelsea exactly what he's about ahead of the summer transfer window. The 26-year-old striker has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League for a while now as .
Gyokeres, who sees his contract at the José Alvalade Stadium expire in June 2028, has featured 26 times in the Primeira Liga this season, scoring 30 goals and providing seven assists. Playing a key role for Rui Borges' side, .
The Sweden international's eye-catching performances haven't gone under the radar, with lots of top clubs said to be chasing his signature. By the end of the campaign, – especially after his latest display.
READ MORE:
READ MORE:
On Thursday night, he scored a brilliant 'panenka' in the first leg of the Taça de Portugal semi-final against Rio Ave. , gifting Gyokeres to chance to double Sporting's lead.
The Swede lined up as if he was about to aim for one of the four corners – . Then, as he approached the penalty spot, Cezary Miszta committed to dive left so Gyokeres hit a 'panenka', clipping the ball down the middle.
He wheeled away in celebration, marking a 2-0 win with his iconic 'mask' celebration. Mikel Arteta and Enzo Maresca are both said to in the market for a striker this summer, so .
Speaking to Spanish outlet at the end of last year after winning the Guldbollen – an award given to the best male Swedish player in Europe – Gyokeres said: "I don’t play in the Premier League like others do.
"But I have done the best I can where I am. I also showed it in Europe, in the Champions League and with the national team, so it was not just in Portugal."
On his future, Gyokeres added: "We will see. There are many rumours circulating, but we are in the middle of the season and there are still many months left. We will see when the time comes what will happen."
When asked where he dreams of playing in four years time, at 30, he replied: "Playing for one of the best teams in Europe. That is the objective."
In an interview with Swedish publication in September 2024, Gyokeres suggested that Sporting asked for 'too much' when clubs approached to sign him in the summer. He said: "They wanted most of the starting players to stay and held us tight.
"That's how it turned out, but I enjoy Sporting very much, so for me it was no problem to stay. Of course, you want to play at the highest level. It [his release clause] was probably a bit too much, because nothing came of it.
"Of course, it's a lot of money, but we'll see what happens next window. Nothing happened and it feels like I had a pretty good season. So yes, that's probably why there was simply no move.
"But that's what Sporting thinks I'm worth, and you have to respect that. I enjoy myself very much in Sporting and can't complain about anything, so it's absolutely no problem for me to stay.
"Of course, you aim to test other leagues and a higher level, but I have no stress..."
You may also like
Tsunami warning issued after 6.9-magnitude earthquake strikes Papua New Guinea
Gentleshaw Common fire: Huge blaze 'spreading rapidly' as skyline turns terrifying orange
Graeme Souness, 71, to swim English Channel - despite battling heart disease
Brits demand UK release of medical drama The Pitt dubbed 'best show in years'
The stunning 105-mile hiking trail in Europe that crosses seven villages in seven days